Re: short glissandi not being printed

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: short glissandi not being printed
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 14:00:23 +0200

2012/10/14 TaoCG <address@hidden>:
> Thomas Morley wrote
[...]
>> Hi,
>>
>> did you add
>> \override Glissando #'springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
>> ?
>>
>> -Harm
[...]
> I didn't, it did the trick though, thanks!
> What exactly does this property do? The internals reference isn't very
> helpful on that one.

Well, I can't explain it.

But, if I want to change a spanner's 'minimum-length, I first try
overriding 'minimum-length, if it doesn't work, I add the other
command.
I'm not sure why sometimes the single 'minimum-length-override is
successful and why sometimes the 'springs-and-rods-property is needed,
too.

Example:

\version "2.16.0"

\relative c' {
        % works
        \override Hairpin #'minimum-length = #40
        d2\< d\! R1*4 \break

        % doesn't work
        \override Glissando #'minimum-length = #40
        d2\glissando d' R1*4
}

Seems that I don't understand the essential difference between Haipin
and Glissando in the example above.

-Harm