Re: Script objects avoid notes in other voices?

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: Script objects avoid notes in other voices?
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 18:09:56 +0200

Hi Daniel,

You're welcome!

Actually it is a construct I've used many times. Typical use for me it for example the texts in scores for multiple players versus the parts.

There is one thing which might interest you even more and that is a scheme script produced by Nicolas Sceaux, some years ago (archive: 27 jan 2007 (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-01/msg00635.html) ). I use this a lot myself.

He created a routine called \keepWithTags (note the last 's') with which you can keep multiple tags in one run. Ideal for even more. I for example use the tags 'score' and 'part' for what I showed below, but also 'cello' or 'clarinet' when transposing instruments, you can e.g. think on:

% first voice:
music = \relative c' {
  \tag #'cello \clef bass
  \tag #'clarinet \clef treble
  b4-\tag #'score -\tag #'part ^\markup { \bold "Allegro" }
  g' d d,
}

and quote this with

\keepWithTags #'(clarinet score) \transpose bes, c' { \music }

for the first voice, the second voice would only have the markup for the part when printed seperatedly but quoted from a musical string but with #'(clarinet part). When ready you don't have to change any bit anymore to print score, part, different instruments, etc.

Actually I would propose to add this function (for including multiple tags) as a standard feature in LilyPond.

Would there be any problems to do that?

Any enthusiasm?

Regards,
Wim.