Re: pitch name transpose into numeric pr key signature

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: pitch name transpose into numeric pr key signature
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 23:07:59 +0200

David,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tim Roberts <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> MING TSANG <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>>     This is my third post on the same subject. First time on Oct 14,
>>     Second time on Oct 19. In the past, I get reply on the same day,
>>     and sometime 2 to 3 day later. I don't know what happpen.
>>
>>     Appreciate someone acknowledge receipt of the post. Even better
>>     tell me is there any solution or it can't be done.
>>

>> You subscribe to the list, right? Then you should be able to see that
>> the message went through. A lack of response usually means no one had
>> an immediately obvious answer.
>
> Or that people are just not in the mood to continue dealing with large
> dumps of unstructured and unedited top-posted HTML mails.  Nobody is
> getting paid for _that_,

please be less grumpy.
You are right that badly formatted emails are not encouraging to deal
with.  I also prefer to see plain text, nicely written emails.
However, please avoid formulating your opinions in a (seemingly [1])
sarcastic and disparaging [2] manner.  In particular, i think that
deleting the word "dumps" would make your message more neutral and
less emotionally loaded.

[1] seemingly = your intentions might have been different, but it can
look like this from recipient's point of view
[1] i'm obviously paraphrasing Graham's words concerning our
communication problems, just to invoke a particular context

> so one increases one's chance of getting help
> by showing that one considers one's own time not more valuable than that
> of others.

>From what i understand, you imply that Ming disregards our time and
effort.  This doesn't have to be true.  For example, Ming is not a
native english speaker - i can easily imagine that just writing an
email like the one he sent could take him an hour or more.
If Ming was an experienced Free Software hacker, we could (and should)
expect him to know all the rules (e.g. "no HTML email").  But he
isn't.

Ming,
i'm sorry but scheme functions like the one you need is not my area of
expertise, so i cannot help you :(

Janek