Re: Text spanners line break bound details

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Text spanners line break bound details
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 07:59:06 -0500

Hi Kevin,

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Kevin Patrick Barry <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear LilyPond experts,
>
> I would like to draw a text spanner between two notes across a system
> break, with the letter 'x' at either end of the spanner.  When I try
> to do this, the cloning process creates an extra letter at the end of
> the first system and the beginning of the next.  I need to remove
> these, but I don't know how.  I tried copying the after-line-break
> expression from the difficult tweaks section of the manuals (and
> substituting the desired bound-details property and value) but it
> didn't have any effect when I tried to call it.

This is a case where there are properties you can override to get what you want:

\version "2.16"

\relative c'' {
  \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) = x
  \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details right text) = x
  \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left-broken text) = ##f
  \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details right-broken text) = ##f
  c1 \startTextSpan \break
  c \stopTextSpan
}

HTH,