Re: Incipit issues

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Incipit issues
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 23:59:32 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/11/6 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> some trickery:
>>> adding a markup to the spacer-rest
>>> readjusting space after TimeSignature
>>> seems to do it.
>>
>> Huh.  What is the most prominent problem of LilyPond here that requires
>> us to revert to trickery?  Which parts of its default behavior are
>> tripping up users' intentions here?  What could have been reasonably
>> expected to work, and what made it fail?  Is the behavior making it fail
>> here useful in other circumstances?
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup
>
> Hi David,
>
> was at work, so I couldn't reply.
> Meanwhile you've raised
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2951
> Should solve the problem.

I am not sure it will.  It addresses one thing that has frequently
annoyed me, but in this particular case, the staff lines turn out as
minuscule stubs not reaching across key and meter.  In fact, I think
that one of the original attempts had white space under the meter,
likely caused by the same problem.

So it is seemingly more than just the "no time, no bar, no service"
thing.  But that's certainly _one_ aspect of the nuisance.

> Sorry, that I can't work on it. As soon as C++ is in the game, I'm not
> able to play it.

We still have the whitespace under meter thing.  One can manually set a
length for the staff lines, but that seems like cheating.

--
David Kastrup