Re: Supporting LilyPond development financially

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Supporting LilyPond development financially
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 18:15:06 +0100

soundsfromsound <address@hidden> writes:

> I didn't mean to open a can of worms or anything.  :)
>
> But yes, in my opinion, perhaps a change would help?
>
> As an aside:
> When I first visited the LilyPond website, way back when, it took a moment
> to absorb what was going on with the "sponsor" page.  I got the impression
> that donating money was only something you did if you wanted specific
> special features requested by the developers.  Like a 1-on-1 contract
> almost.  It wasn't super clear at first that I could donate for a more
> "global" cause, you know what I mean?

Well, there is not really a "global" cause for sponsoring right now.
"Employ David for working on LilyPond according to what he fancies" is
not all that global.  And it is not like there is 100% approval on the
stuff I do.

> It may be nice to have a simple, clean, donation portion of the page
> saying something like "every little bit counts, donate here to keep
> LilyPond going strong --->"

But we don't have a reliable mechanism for turning money into LilyPond
going strong.

--
David Kastrup