Re: Accidentals with \modalTranspose

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Accidentals with \modalTranspose
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 05:59:36 +0000 (UTC)

Vaughan McAlley <vaughan <at> mcalley.net.au> writes:

> I want to notate a modal canon at the fifth. \modalTranspose works
> well until there are accidentals in the original line. Fiddling with
> the scale by adding notes causes problems; what would be nice is to be
> able to specify *two* scales:

\modalTranspose can use modes that contain accidentals, but the underlying
code cannot be easily modified to have two different pitches in the mode
transpose to the same output pitch.

It looks like the canon uses regular transpositions, but with a few
exceptions (or mistakes? or instances of a former convention for notation?)
where the transposition gives B-flat but B was written.

When there are exceptions to the pattern, I uses LilyPond to generate the
input that obeys the pattern strictly, in the form of text input that I
can past into the input file
  \displayLilyMusic \transpose g c {\firstCanon }
and then edit the result.