Re: new and context

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: new and context
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 08:09:25 -0000

Noeck, you wrote Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:58 PM

> Am 07.12.2012 00:24, schrieb Trevor Daniels:
>>
>> It's the LilyPond grammar as extracted from the input to Bison (somewhat
>> simplified).   Bison generates the parser which then implements this
>> grammar.
>> You need to understand this grammar in order to see whether any suggested
>> changes to the LilyPond language syntax can work sensibly.
>
> Ok, that I know, but what do the symbols mean? Is that any standardized
> syntax language? From your mail I guess it is called Bison and I googled
> a bit and will have a look at this:
> www.gnu.org/software/bison/manual
>
> It would be nice to have some description or a link to GNU Bison on this
> page:
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/lilypond-grammar
> Because without any reference, I doubt that anyone not knowing Bison can
> understand it.

Anyone familiar with compiler techniques would, but you make
a reasonable point.  Only developers would be expected to
understand this appendix, so maybe it should be moved to the
Contributor's Guide, where the link to Bison can already be found,
see
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/lilypond-programming-languages

Copying to -Devel for comments ...

Trevor