Re: \crossStaff and \stemDown

From: ornello
Subject: Re: \crossStaff and \stemDown
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 06:49:48 -0800 (PST)

Eluze wrote
> I think the \crossStaff command (and the \autoBeamOn/Off) have to be set
> in the voice (or staff) where the stem originates, i.e. in the upper staff
> if you set \voiceTwo or \stemDown.

Ah, excellent suggestion! This is indeed symmetrical, and working:

\layout {
  \context {
    \PianoStaff
    \consists #Span_stem_engraver

{
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff {
      \stemDown
      \autoBeamOff
      \crossStaff { b4 r d'16\> e'8. g8} r\!
      \autoBeamOn
      e'8 f' g'4 e'2
    }
    \new Staff {
      \clef bass
      \voiceOne
      \stemDown
      <e g>4 e, g16 a8. c8 d
      g8 f g4 c2

So the problem of my original fragment seems to be related to adding another
voice in one of the staves. Here is another example:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    autoBeaming = ##f
  }
  \context {
    \PianoStaff
    \consists #Span_stem_engraver

{
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff <<
      \new Voice {
        \voiceOne
        g''4
      }
      \new Voice {
        \voiceTwo
        \stemUp
        < b d'>8 [ < b d'>8 ]
      }

    \new Staff {
      \clef bass
      \new Voice {
        \voiceOne
        \crossStaff { <e g>8 <e g>8 }

Seems that I can not prevent the stem from going up to voice 1 of the upper
staff. But this is not surprising because the cross-staff information is
only given in the lower staff, so it is unclear whether the stem should be
connected to voice one or to voice two in the upper staff.

I believe it is not a bug but WAD. What do you think?

Dominik