Re: 4-Drum Conga Notation in LilyPond

From: Tim Roberts
Subject: Re: 4-Drum Conga Notation in LilyPond
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:52:34 -0800

David Rogers <address@hidden> wrote:
> It turns out that the correct number for C4, C5, and so on can be found
> by counting the number of Cs on a standard 88-key piano, starting from
> the low end and starting with 1. Is this an accident, or is this the
> origin of that numbering system?

That's the origin.

> (I'm assuming that the three "leftover"
> keys lower than the lowest C on the piano are numbered zero?)

Yup.

> I suspect but can't remember with certainty, that MIDI uses this
> numbering system incorrectly, and I think that might be the source of
> the confusion here.

I have seen this as well.  Officially, MIDI just refers to the notes by
number (0 to 127), but I have seen charts that try to label MIDI note
number 0 as "C0", whereas it should be "C-1".

This chart does it right:   http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/notes.html

--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.