combining multimeasure rests

From: Shevek
Subject: combining multimeasure rests
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:43:47 -0800 (PST)

I am finding that there are many situations in which it is useful for me to
insert a tagged command in the midst of a block multimeasure rest, for
example to manually set the partcombine mode. When I extract the individual
parts, though, I need to be able to consolidate multimeasure rests except
where a rehearsal mark would break them. For example:

\version "2.16.0"

clI = \relative c' {
  \tag #'score \partcombineSoloI
  f4 g a b |
  R1 |
  \tag #'score \partcombineSoloII
  R1 |
}

clII = \relative c' {
  R1*2 |
  f4 e d c |
}

\partcombine \clI \clII

% Is there a way I can make these multimeasure rests display as a single
2-bar rest?
{ \compressFullBarRests \removeWithTag #'score \clI }
{ \compressFullBarRests \clII }