Re: Syntax for make-dynamic-script

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Syntax for make-dynamic-script
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 09:18:39 +0100

Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 2012-12-22 at 00:58 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> For getting a copy with individual location data, you
>> indeed need to write $(make-dynamic-script
>
> I replaced # with $ and this worked perfectly - I can now drag the
> "pia." indication about on the final typeset pdf displayed in Denemo
> just like any other dynamic.
> I guess this $ notation is documented somewhere - searching around
> yesterday evening I came across this
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-attached-to-notes#index-DynamicText
>
> which is where I suspect I got the notation I was using. Should that be
> using $ too, as the location data is wrong for the syntax given (see the
> bug I emailed about this)?

I repeat: with the exact given examples in the manual, the location data
is correct.

I don't think location data is covered with more than glancing detail in
the manual.  Location data will be attached to the copies created by
\... (as an identifier) or $..., and location data can be attached to
constructed music explicitly by setting the music property 'origin to
it.  Music functions attach the call location to the resulting top-level
expression (which does not help much except for music functions
returning basic music expressions).

It might make sense attaching origin data to music accepted via
#... (which is not copied) as well.  That will wreak havoc when data is
being reused, but reusing music without copying is explicitly considered
a bad idea.

--
David Kastrup