Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:08:49 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 07.01.2013 12:09, schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
>> Am 2013-01-07 um 10:14 schrieb Urs Liska:
>>
>>> I'd like to collect some suggestion for a replacement font for
>>> Century Schoolbook.
>>> So (to finally get to the point) I'd be happy about suggestions for
>>> good free text fonts to use with LilyPond.
>>> They should be well equipped in terms of language support and have
>>> a good array of weights and spacings.
>> Hi Urs,
>> I nearly always use TeX Gyre Schola for the lyrics in my lead sheets
>> and songbooklets - mostly the same as Century Schoolbook, because
>> it’s very good readable even under bad light conditions.
>> Other Open Source fonts I like very much are e.g. Gentium, Antykwa
>> Toruńska and TeX Gyre Pagella (Palatino), but I wouldn’t recommend
>> them for lyrics.
> Thanks for the hints, I will look into them (although you're right
> they aren't very good for lyrics).
> Antykwa Toruńska looks nice (I knew the other ones already).
> And I found Antykwa Półtawskiego on that page, which has plenty of
> weights. I will try this one out and see how it looks in the score
> context.

Well, all these suggestions point to Poland
<URL:http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry>.  If concrete proposals
about weights and variations that would be definitely wanted in LilyPond
(and if we can make somehow sure that such fonts will be available from
within LilyPond if somebody goes to the pain to create them), I would,
of course entirely unselfishly
<URL:http://www.immt.pwr.wroc.pl/~myszka/BachoTeX2005/2005-05-02/1.html>,
<URL:http://www-stary.gust.org.pl/BachoTeX/2005/fotki/ggrusza/93.html>
(here I am standing right behind Borusław, one of the leading forces in
the font team) volunteer to visit EuroBachoTeX 2013
<URL:http://www.gust.org.pl/bachotex/2013> where with a high probability
the entire Polish font team will be present as well as some of the
decision makers for their funding.

As should be obvious from the pictures, this conference might provide a
few more worthwhile subjects for evangelizing LilyPond.

--
David Kastrup