Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond

From: Antonio Gervasoni
Subject: Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 08:55:06 -0800 (PST)

Werner Lemberg writes:

> I disagree.  All the knowledge is collected in the Lilypond Snippet
> Repository (LSR) and this very mailing list.  So users should be able
> to look up the LSR and to search the archive of this list.  And in
> case someone doesn't find a solution, writing to the list is the
> obvious next step, and as you have probably experienced already,
> virtually all requests get answered in a very short time, most of the
> satisfactorily.

Very true! However, I believe the average user of scorewriting software (or
any software) would not be thrilled by the idea of finding himself going
through pages and pages of documentation and/or opening up to 10 tabs of
post threads in his browser and/or posting questions in a list, to then find
the solution is some code written in a language he does not understand. This
is of course a very extreme scenario because solution to common problems can
be easily found. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not complaining, nor am I
criticizing the way Lilypond works. I'm the type of user who actually likes
to investigate and find things the hard way (it's much more interesting). I
guess then, what they say about Lilypoond not being for everyone is true
after all.

> Simplification?  I doubt it.  A better interface?  Maybe.  It's a
> long-term goal to improve that.

I was already feeling I put this the wrong way. Of course, Lilypond syntax
is amazingly simple when it comes down to writing notes, durations, rests,
slurs, ties, beams, etc. I was thinking of tweaking when I wrote that word.
Some expressions are really complicated........ though it is true one does
not have to do as many tweaks as in other software, and the number of them
should decrease with time....... and software like Frescobaldi help you to
find the right commands and variables.

On a side note, I think it is very sad what just happened with the
LilypondTool. For those who don't know, the guy who wrote it decided to stop
development because he has moved to Musescore. I used the LilypondTool for
some time and I must say it was very good. I hope someone takes over it's
development.

Antonio