Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: vern adams
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 09:45:22 -0800

On 9 Jan 2013, at 08:54, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Vern, can you give a rough estimate about the financial frame?

Yes i would generally echo what Dave and Eben have said said on costs; and note
these would be minimum costs;

> The price depends on the details of the project; mainly the number of
> family styles, the character set, and the delivery schedule. Designing
> a single style latin-1 font in 2 weeks is relatively expensive ($3,000
> minimum) versus a 10 style family with latin 1-2-3-4 in 2 months
> ($10,000 min)

But it is perhaps more likely that a typeface family like we are discussing
here would be developed from a pre-existing Libre font. That would most likely
bring down the labour costs, or allow a larger budget to be even better
mobilised.

To some who manage Free Software projects these sums can seem steep, but i
strongly suggest they are great investments because they are spent on adding
unparalleled value to the software. Libre fonts can be superb investments for
free Software. The more projects like this that are funded, more and better
Free Software can be developed.

-vernon