Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 21:24:56 +0100

Am 09.01.2013 20:30, schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
Actually, I would rather like to have a font which exactly clones the
old lyrics font.  But this is probably me only.
This points to one problem I see with this approach: If one wanted
to create something new (or rework something existing) there would
be _much_ discussion to do.  And I don't know if this would lead to
some agreement.  I recall the heated debate when Janek retouched the
single glyph of the treble clef and don't dare to imagine the
potential conflicts when it comes to a whole font.
Well, similar to the lilypond glyphs which are essentially based on
Bärenreiter shapes, we could take, say, the text glyph shapes of
Universal Edition from a certain range of years (e.g. stuff published
between WW I and WW II).

Cloning an existing font specimen which gets then polished by a
professional designer is the way to go IMHO.  Similar to the music
glyphs, those shapes have evolved over many years and have been used
for some generations.
Would still give the potential for heated debates on what style to aim for.

Basically everybody in this discussion has different needs and
opinions.  What a new font would imply wouldn't be less than a new
visual appearance for LilyPond (even if considered as an optional
addition).
Everybody can continue the use of the URW fonts!  I see no conflict
here.
That's not what I intended to express. Of course one can use the current fonts, and of course anybody can switch to any font he/she likes. What I meant is that the task is as big as giving LilyPond scores a new appearance.

Urs