Partcombine erratic behaviour

From: Hilary Snaden
Subject: Partcombine erratic behaviour
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:02:50 +0000

Using version 2.16.2 on windoze, I have a chunk of (pseudo-)code like this:

\score {
  <<
    \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff <<
        \set Staff.soloText = #"1."
        \set Staff.soloIIText = #"2."
        \set Staff.aDueText = #"a2"
        \partcombine \flutea \fluteb
        \set Staff.instrumentName = \instrumenta

    [similar blocks for oboes, clarinets, bassoons]

}

The flute staff switches to explicit voices after two bars, the clarinet staff uses explicit voices throughout (both staves without full-bar rests in the silent parts, unless both parts are silent), the oboes and bassoons render as I recall partcombine working in the past.

There's nothing obviously untoward in the constituent parts, it's pretty straightforward early 19th-century stuff, and the log shows no warnings related to timing.

I recall partcombine being sometimes inflexible, but predictable and robust. I note that some tweaks have been added to partcombine recently, has its default behaviour become less robust?

--
Hilary