Re: \harmonicsOff

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \harmonicsOff
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:19:44 +0100

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 21.01.2013 09:16, schrieb Eluze:
>> \harmonicsOn/Off seem to work at a Voice level, so writing
>> \new Voice {\harmonicsOn … \harmonicsOff … }
>> will probably do it
>
> As you say, it works with '\new Voice' but does not without.
> I always thought that implicitely a Voice context is created

When?  \harmonicsOn is not a context creating command.

> and that a command applies to the lowest context (which is Voice here)

No, it is Score.  And since the Staff created when the implicit Voice
gets created at the first note has its own idea of noteheads, and since
Staff settings overrule Score settings, you don't get to see anything.

> If that is no special feature with a good reason,

\new Staff { \harmonicsOn ...

is able to affect _all_ Voices in a Staff.  After your change, it
wouldn't.  Now this reason is a bit weaker with 2.16 and so, since you
can also say

\new Staff \with { \harmonicsOn } ...

but that has not always been the case.

--