Re: Questions on re-organizing the woodwind (bass-)clarinet stencils

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Questions on re-organizing the woodwind (bass-)clarinet stencils
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 09:44:22 +0100

Wim van Dommelen <address@hidden> writes:

> However I think I arrived at a "crossroad" into multiple
> possibilities:

> 2. I throw over some of the code, clean up, do some renaming of keys
> wanted, but with the danger of upsetting people who are already using
> the current diagrams. For example: I want to rename the right-hand key
> labeled "four" to "side-ees" to make to naming more consistent and
> change the label accordingly. But this also has effect on the basic
> clarinet stencil. If someone then uses a diagram specifying this key,
> it will throw an error. Of course, I'll have a list of changes
> available, but that will still involve updating your code. Note: I'm
> only looking at and changing the clarinet stencil(s), all the other
> instruments I won't touch.

[...]

> My personal preference goes towards method 2.
>
> All: Comments please.

First: consider the possibility of keeping an alias "four" to the key,
but let code and documentation stick with side-ees.

Second: when doing such a change, it might be worth trying to cook up a
rule for python/convertrules.py in order to let the syntax of callers be
converted automatically.

--
David Kastrup