Re: force flat beam in piano staff that uses \autochange

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: force flat beam in piano staff that uses \autochange
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 13:36:18 +1100

On 07/02/13 12:39, Michael Winter wrote:
This does not work when there are groups of notes beamed together that are either all in the upper staff or in the lower staff. I assume it would only work if you could guarantee that all notes grouped under a beam have notes in both the upper and lower staves.

Works here. The beams are flat regardless of which stave(s) the notes occupy. If you mean that you only want the beams forced flat where the notes occupy both staves, then decide which is more frequent (notes grouped on one stave or both), and use \once\override for the others. e.g. if kneed beams are more frequent:

\version "2.16.2"

nf = \once\override Beam #'damping = #1 % back to default

\new PianoStaff {
  \autochange {
    \relative c'' {
      \override Beam #'damping = #+inf.0
      b16 b b,, b
      b b b'' b
      \nf b cis d e
      b b b,, b

p.s. I tried using \once\revert Beam #'damping: no error was indicated but the \once is ignored...