Re: lilypond-book/LateX Beamer: best rendering practice?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: lilypond-book/LateX Beamer: best rendering practice?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:43:30 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Florian Hollerweger" <address@hidden>
To: "Lilypond User List" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:55 AM

Hi all,

As mentioned earlier, I am planning to deliver a Lilypond workshop together with a friend at this year's Linux Audio Conference. For the workshop slides, I already have a working setup using lilypond-book --pdf in combination with pdflatex and LaTeX Beamer.

- But I get the impression that PNGs (rather than PDFs) might be the way to go for better-quality on-screen display of Lilypond output?

I guess the benefit of PNG is that you're not reliant on the PDF on-screen renderer to control the look of the output. However, if you create the PNGs you're going to use at their final size, you're still dependent on a relatively unsophisticated mechanism to fit the lines and features to the pixels. I would experiment with creating PNGs much larger than you require and resizing them with an image processing application. Also experiment with LilyPond's anti-alias-factor.

--
Phil Holmes