Re: Removing Fingering_engraver

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Removing Fingering_engraver
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 16:59:44 +0100

Hi all,

while writing this graphical list of objects and engravers:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-01/msg00916.html
I wondered, how some engravers are used and how some objects are
produced. Most names are self explaining, but I had some difficulty the
following things:

Engravers:
What is the difference between the "New" and the corresponding engraver
(without "New")?
Most engravers have a small comment in the internals documentation what
they are for. But the layout objects are not explained with a comment.

Layout Objects:
 - What are columns? Like DotColumn, NoteColumn, etc.
 - What are rows? (ScriptRow)
 - What's the difference between Hairpin and DynamicLineSpanner?
 - What is a GridLine and a GridPoint?

I tried to produce an object of them with some notation and attach
annotations to them, but these annotations did not show up, so I assume
no such object was produced. Short: I did not find out how to produce them.

Could someone explain to me what they are for or point me to the
appropriate docs? Or do I have to read the source code for that?

Cheers,
Joram