Re: Bar lines

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bar lines
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:15:39 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> [snip snip]
>> Ok, here is the deal: I promise to give real thought about a way to
>> _define_ repeat structures in such a straightforward manner that a user
>> would understand how to create repeat structures of his own including
>> working Midi and \expandRepeats as long as he can hack together the
>> glyphs for the _looks_.
>>
>> And you promise think about how the barline definition interface might
>> be made more friendly when in-line recipe and call string are not forced
>> to be the same, and how more complex recipes might benefit from not
>> being string-only.
>
> Sounds like a good candidate for consensus.  I like this direction,
> and i'll gladly help with reviewing specific user interfaces.

What's not to like about others doing the work?

More seriously, this is not a candidate for consensus but rather a deal
offer for Marc.  The price he has to pay is an open mind and likely
additional work, and the return offer is code/functionality that will
likely fulfill one of his needs.

Whether either result will be met with consensus and/or be fully
satisfactory to the other or the list members is an entirely different
question.  And, apart from the additional one-time work, each of us
should consider his own work satisfactory and not just swallow a toad
for the sake of getting the deal through.

I think we can get there.

--
David Kastrup