Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 09:51:04 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 09, 2013 at 12:20:19AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> So the first pitch will _always_ be special-cased.  With a reference
>>> pitch, it is special-cased to refer to that absolute pitch.  Without a
>>> reference pitch, it has to behave in _some_ manner as well.
>>
>> The first pitch *within the {}* doesn't need to be special-cased.
>> It's just relative to the reference pitch, which is *outside* the
>> {}.
>
> So it is special-cased since every other pitch is relative to another
> actually occuring pitch *within the {}*.

I think that this particular part of the discussion is going nowhere.
Depending on how one looks at this, first pitch may be perceived as
special-cased or not; i don't think it makes sense to try convincing
each other to "feel the other way".
It looks like discussing which patch of grass is greener.  Let our
opinions differ here.

best,
janek