Re: Segmentation fault with 2.17.14

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault with 2.17.14
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 02:15:22 -0700

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:37:38AM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Paul Scott wrote Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:56 AM
>

> >I get segmentation faults with 2.17.14 on a medium to large set of files
> > which compile fine with 2.17.13.  I have gotten these errors with some
> > other
> > recent 2.17.xx versions.  I don't believe I will get errors with a minimal
> > example.
> >
> > What evidence can I provide that might help find the problem?
>
> Well, start removing things from your code until the error goes away.
> Start with large sections.  Put back what you have just removed and
> continue removing other things or smaller pieces.  When there is nothing
> left that can be removed without also removing the error you have a
> minimal example.

I know how to produce a minimal example.  I had been removing code and hadn't
seen results yet and going back to 2.17.13 immediately solved the problem.  I
have done exactly that with other music with some other recent versions.

I was wondering if some kind of trace might provide someone with a clue.

I have several parts to finish tonight which I am doing quite successfully
with 2.17.13.

I will give it another try when I can.

> The chances are in carrying out this process that you will discover
> what is causing the problem.  Tell us what it is.

I appreciate that possibility.  I have said the same thing to a number
of programming classes I have taught including the assembly language
class I was teaching tonight.

Thanks and thanks for all the work you all do on this magnificent project.
I'll be back.

Paul