Re: \relative proposal: putting absolute pitches anywhere within \relati

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: \relative proposal: putting absolute pitches anywhere within \relative block using @-sign
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 00:03:36 +0000

On 13/03/2013 19:24, address@hidden wrote:
Here's the idea.

1. Define absolute octave syntax with the @-sign (let it be a mnemonic for
_A_bsolute) to be the syntax for temporarily specifying an ABSOLUTE PITCH
within a \relative block, such that the next pitch, if it doesn't use the
@-sign also, is relative to the absolute pitch.

2. Keep \relative X { ... } working the same way as it is (DON'T make
convert-ly change it around).

What do people think?

Okay, this may be covered by other new facilities, but I remember I had exactly the problem this is intended to solve. I wanted to use a fragment inside a relative block, but the stuff around it messed up the relative octave, so I wanted to be able to specify an explicit octave for the first note of the fragment. (Han-Wen kindly wrote me a little function, which may have become \reset-absolute-octave, I've never used that so I'm not sure about that.)

Cheers,
Wol