Re: Lyrics interfere with volta?

From: Colin Hall
Subject: Re: Lyrics interfere with volta?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 09:18:30 +0000

Colin Campbell writes:

> On 13-03-25 03:27 PM, Toine Schreurs wrote:
>>> I'm setting a vocal piece containing a simple repeat. The code below shows
>>> problems with prematurely ending a volta, but only if the Lyrics block is
>>> included. I've trimmed the live version down to this:
>> The lyrics are 'connected' to the "sop" Voice. You only have to specify the
>> lyrics.
>>
>>     \new Lyrics { \lyricsto "sop" {
>>       gu.
>>       Mun --
>>       Mun --
>>       gu.
>>      }
>>    }
>>
>> Toine Schreurs
>>
> Thanks, Toine! This at least gets the score readable, although I still
> don't understand the original error.

I'm not adding anything to the solution from Toine, but I wanted to say
that you are not the first person to make this mistake. Todd Hesla had
the exact same problem back in January this year, see:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-01/msg00975.html

In the following discussion it became clear that Todd had followed this
documentation:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics#lyrics-and-repeats

which is not surprising because the section is entitled "Lyrics and
Repeats".

Phil Holmes clarified things in that thread, quoting Phil:

   From my reading of the NR, it's only _necessary_ to add the parallel
   "repeat" construct where you want to use \unfoldRepeats and have the
   lyrics repeated. As Colin says, I've never done this.

There is a tracker for a design change to take care of this here:

but I'm not sure that's the best course. I can't help thinking that it
would be better to just make the docs clearer as this feature of
Lilypond seems to work just fine as it is.

Cheers,
Colin.

--
Colin Hall