Re: Tempo marking pushes rehearsal mark far above the staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Tempo marking pushes rehearsal mark far above the staff
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 13:23:42 -0400

Hi Janek,

>> If any two grobs "have space reserved", will collision
>> avoidence always be accomplished horizontally?
>> There are many times I don't like the fact that Lilypond's
>> default is to push grobs along a vertical axis…
>
> +1
> If anyone's interested in additional examples, you can find some here:
> http://news.lilynet.net/?The-LilyPond-Report-25#the_game_of_the_month
> (look for light violet marks - some of them are about shortening
> stems/etc. to fit music closer, but some are about moving objects
> horizontally).
> I can probably poduce more examples if you need.

Yeah: Just compile *any* Lilypond document.  ;)

In all seriousness: I've broached the subject with Mike S (in his role as my
"developer for hire"), and he seems to think it might be too complex. I want
each grob to have settings which:
    1. give the axis/es along which it is allowed to be pushed in order to
avoid collisions;
    2. force the associated moment to move/stretch under the adjusted grob, if
horizontal movement is allowed.

For example, an articulation (Script) would move vertically only. Tempo
indications (MetronomeMark) might move to the right only, and wouldn't pull the
associated moment. BarNumbers could move left or right (but not up or down).
And so on.

I would love to get a discussion/brainstorm going with multiple developers, to
see whether my scheme might be possible without too much trouble.

Best,
Kieren.