Re: Lilypond \include statements and the GPL

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lilypond \include statements and the GPL
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 23:31:45 +0200

Anthonys Lists <address@hidden> writes:

> Indeed, this legal claim (that using functions creates a derivative
> work) is exactly the claim that Oracle tried with Android and Java,
> and they came a royal cropper with it.

"exactly" in the meaning of "quite the opposite of".  Oracle did not try
to cover code intended to compile with their Java libraries, but rather
tried to prohibit a compatible reimplementation from scratch of the Java
code implementing the APIs.

So Oracle was trying to prohibit reimplementing the code _behind_ the
APIs, whereas we are talking about the implications of the APIs on the
code _calling_ them.

--
David Kastrup