Re: musicxml2ly enhancements

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly enhancements
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 12:02:53 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 09.04.2013 11:38, schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
>>> Putting the bar number at the start of the line would require
>>>
>>>    %{ 5 %} a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
>>>
>>> instead.
>> I like that.  It's tedious to type manually, but a computer program
>> doesn't know that word :-)
>>

>>      Werner
> Would something like
>
> address@hidden a,4 ( a4 ) ( b4 ) d4 |
>
> be an option?

In the same sense that drilling a hole in your knee and pouring in milk
is an option, definitely.

> The combination'%@' would indicate that the next token is meant as a
> measure number (or any other pointer to the structure of the content).

Except that inside of comments, there is no such thing as a "token".
Which is part of a comment's appeal.  And a comment that is a "pointer
to the structure of the content"?  I don't see how a comment be any such
thing, but then I have a problem parsing this parenthetical addition
anyway.

> An editor could use such entries (i.e. specific syntax, starting at
> the beginning of a line) to create a document outline, e.g. point to
> @5 entries in all parts.

You lost me _way_ back.

> Of course I know that syntax changes shouldn't be taken lightly,
> though ...

There is nobody keeping you to put whatever editor-hinting comments into
your LilyPond source file using the existing comment syntax.  I don't
see what another comment syntax would buy you in that regard, though.

--
David Kastrup