Re: call for italian users: translation of "feathered beams" and other t

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: Re: call for italian users: translation of "feathered beams" and other terms
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:00:26 +0200

Ciao Federico,

as in my previous email,
>> Unreferenced statements are my personal opinions.

>> Sources:
>> [G] = "Enciclopedia della Musica", Garzanti, Milano, 1996
[C] = Sandro Carnelos, "Gli organi della diocesi di Vittorio Veneto",
Vittorio Veneto, 2000 (a book that lists characteristics of each of
the church organs in the diocese of Vittorio Veneto, in North-Eastern
Italy)

> Common Practice Period
> well, this one has been translated before:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/writing-pitches#note-names-in-other-languages
>
> as "Periodo di pratica comune"
> does it refer to the western classic music?
>
> better ideas?
I think "periodo di pratica comune" is a suitable translation, but
I've never seen this expression in Italian texts.

> direct
I can't understand this glossary entry, since there isn't enough context.
I don't think it is specifically a musical term, and I couldn't find
occurrences of "direct" in NR with a different meaning from the usual,
literal, common one.
Why is "direct" in the glossary? Why is it related to "custos"?

> doit
> fall
Don't know an Italian term for these; maybe you could translate them
like they did in German: "glissando indeterminato verso l'alto/il
basso" or "... verso l'acuto/il grave".

> flageolet
I would translate it as in Spanish: "armonico".
Bowed strings players call harmonic sounds "suoni flautati" (listed
also in [G]), which is etymologically related to "flageolet", so maybe
you could list both expressions: "armonico, flautato".
Regarding the other meanings (flute, organ stop), [G] leaves the
French term "flageolet" untranslated, but says that the flageolet
flute was sometimes called "flautino" or "flauto piccolo".
It seems that both it could be translated as "flagioletto" (see
http://web.archive.org/web/20090213033806/http://www.musica-antica.info/strumenti/strumenti_paragrafi/4_4.html)
and [C] lists at least four organs with a "Flagioletto" stop (all by
the same organ constructor, Giovan Battista De Lorenzi, around 1850).

> frenched score
> frenched staff
I don't know and can't find an Italian term for these.
Maybe you could translate them like they did in German: "partitura
senza i righi vuoti" and "rigo temporaneo".

> hymn meter
Maybe "metrica dell'inno" or "struttura metrica dell'inno"?

> ligature
[G] lists the untranslated Latin term "ligatura" (plural "ligaturae").
I would leave it untranslated, as it is usual with many other Latin
terms regarding ancient music.

> mensuration sign
I don't know if there is a specific Italian term for mensuration
signs: [G] talks about tempus, prolatio and the signs used to notate
them, but does not give a specific name for these signs (e.g. "tempus
imperfectum cum prolatione imperfecta, indicato dal segno C").
I think that "indicazione mensurale" or "segno mensurale" should be
understandable, and the description in the glossary is perfectly
clear.

> neighbor tones
If these are what http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonchord_tone calls
"neighbor tone" (both accented and unaccented), then it is called
"nota di volta" ([G]).
It does not translate to "toni vicini": "tono vicino/lontano" or
"tonalità vicina/lontana" means "closely/distantly related key" or
"close/distant key" (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closely_related_key).

Best regards.
Davide