Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper

From: Colin Hall
Subject: Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:30:55 +0100

Urs Liska writes:

> Am Samstag, den 20.04.2013, 11:50 +0100 schrieb Colin Hall:
> >
> > Can you be more specific about your audience?
> This is an important comment because it clearly shows that there is some
> work to do.
> (Although I assume that with a revision of that first sketch I would
> have been able to make my points much clearer anyway).

You may have misunderstood me. I was asking you to be more specific in
this thread, not in your paper, about who your audience is so we can
understand your intention. I can imagine it might be some of the
following, perhaps you could say which:

Professional engravers
Music publishing management
Open Source software engineers
Music undergraduates
Music academics
Amateur musicians
Professional musicians
Users of <insert engraving tool> software
Internet media authors (as news not as a writing tool)

>> To me your paper seems to be pitched very well for someone who is
>> already interested in these ideas but needs guidance. In other words,
>> someone who would benefit from this Lilypond library.
> Well, that's not the core of my intention (so there is some work for me
> to do).

Agreed.

> My target audience are people who are involved in writing scores and
> text about music (maybe with a slight personal bias on people who
> prepare editions), but who still use word processors and wysiwyg
> notation programs.

OK, that helps, I think you have made the audience clear. Thanks.

> I want to show them that there's a whole other world with a completely
> different approach, and that this text based approach is well worth the
> effort it takes to get acquainted with it.

Right. So I suggest you have to summarise their situation and show it's
shortcomings with respect to your proposal. Focus on use cases where
WYSIWYG fails; Graham pointed some out in this thread. Clearly you can
write well, so they will recognise what you say and begin to listen to
your voice.

Cheers,
Colin.

--