Re: Setting X-offset and Y-offset graphically.

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Setting X-offset and Y-offset graphically.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 22:11:12 +0200

2013/4/21 Richard Shann <address@hidden>:
> On Sun, 2013-04-21 at 10:38 +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>> 2013/4/19 Richard Shann <address@hidden>:
>> > Here is a short demo showing dragging the shape of a slur in Denemo
>> >
>> > https://vimeo.com/64408182
>> >
>> > The code to do this is in Denemo's git repository now.
>>
>> Wow!!  You know, i almost cried when watching :)
>> You are using \shape to store modifications to the control points in
>> the source code?
>
> Sadly, the output looks like this:
>
> \once \override Slur
>       #'control-points = #'((0.66 . 0.86) (1.84 . 5.66) (5.92 . 3.68)
> (7.83 . 2.5)) a'8( b' c'' d'')

ouch.  That will go very wrong if there are any spacing changes.

> what would be the nicest syntax using that data?

\shape by David Nalesnik (it's awesome!)  Docs are here:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/modifying-shapes
note that \shape syntax is a bit different in 2.16.

> I very much need someone to look over the Denemo LilyPond output to
> suggest how it could be made nicer for those going on to edit it
> directly. There is an issue with using Tabs, but most of the awkward
> syntax is a combination of history (I still have Denemo scores
> announcing that they were typeset with Lilypond 2.6.5!) and ignorance...

whoah!
Hmm.  I'd gladly help with that, but i have little time, and actually
when i tried using Denemo recently i couldn't get it to work... :/

> There are issues with curve shaping - the red markers for the curve
> shape are considered by LilyPond when it is doing collision avoidance,
> so sometimes the score you are editing is not the same as it would be
> without the markers. It would be possible I suspect to work without the
> markers - just guessing at likely curve control points to give an
> initial shape and then dragging them to improve the shape. LilyPond may
> still move everything to accommodate your new shape, but that's ok, it's
> not Inkscape.

That's unfortunate.  I think the intent of the code displaying
control-points was that they shouldn't influence spacing at all.  If
you have a tiny example, i suggest you to post it as a separate
question to the list.  Some experienced coders may be able to help
you.

> BTW I, too, like the way my ancient Denemo scores now print out even
> more beautifully than ten years ago, thanks to LilyPond's steady
> improvements.

:)
best,
Janek