Re: "stacked" tempo indications in one line

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: "stacked" tempo indications in one line
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 17:35:42 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Vollmar <vollmar <at> nf.mpg.de> writes:

> \override Score.RehearsalMark #'extra-spacing-width = #'(-1 . 1)
> \override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #1.5
> \mark \default
> \grace s1
> \tempo "Moderato" 4 = 120
>
> I also needed the "extra-spacing-width", the "padding" and (curiously)
>  the "\grace s1" - I found the latter in an older thread of this list.

There is an adjustment to #'Y-offset that goes well with what you
have above (so that the \tempo is not placed close to the staff *before*
the horizontal spacing, which can space notes too widely, only after).

The default placement rules put the \mark over the barline, and
a \tempo at a change in time-signature change directly over the
time-signature, and keeps a fixed horizontal spacing between barline
and time-signature.

With the manual you could figure out to adjust the rules, but that is
complicated. It is much simpler to add the grace note, so that in
concept the tempo is no longer *at* the time-signature.  You can of
course write a comment so you remember why the grace is there.