latex with PNG images using lilypond-book?

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: latex with PNG images using lilypond-book?
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 18:07:26 +0200

Hello. I am trying to create an e-book in ePub format from a latex
document via lilypond-book and pandoc.

EPubs can not have images in PDF format, so I'd like to prepare a
latex file with PNG images. We are saying in the manuals (see
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/usage/lilypond_002dbook.html
Running lilypond-book) the following:

  ... The pictures are created separately, yielding PostScript output
or PNG images, and those are included into a LaTeX or HTML document.

and the --pdf option creates PDF images from lilypond snippets for use
with pdflatex. But if I omit the --pdf option, EPS images are created
for inclusion instead. This compiles fine with the latex command and
dvips, but EPS images are not getting into the resulting ePub from
pandoc, either.

I imagine that PNG images are created for HTML, but what about PNG for
latex? Does anybody know how to?

Thank you,
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)