Re: Two questions

From: ghe
Subject: Re: Two questions
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 02:42:26 +0200 (CEST)

I have two questions, to which I did not find an answer in the manuals; I apologize in advance if they are answered there.

(1) I try to typeset choir music, on two staffs, without bars. Most sentences are separated by breathes (one above each staff), but sometimes an explicit *span* bar needs to be included. In short, commas in the text become breathes, and full stops become span bars. How can I do this? I tried:

\context { \Staff \remove Bar_engraver }

but then the clefs disappeared on all lines except the first one. So I tried

\context { \Staff \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t }

and

\context { \Staff \override BarLine #'stencil = ##f }

but in both cases it seems that the bars are still there, albeit invisible (which means that some space is wasted and that the output does not look optimal). Moreover, it seems that it is then not possible to put explicit span bars when I actually need them, or to print the final bars.

<URL:http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms#unmetered-music>

Yes, I tried this, too.  But it has two drawbacks:

(a) All the places where line breaks can occur must be indicated with \bar "". This is a bit annoying, but it could be tolerable.

(b) What is far less tolerable is that, if I understand things correctly, all the "natural" ligatures between the notes disappear and need to be indicated explicitly with "[" and "]" for example.

In other words, is there a way to combine the benefit of a \time indication (which puts possible line breaks and "natural" ligatures between the notes) with the benefit of a \cadenzaOn?

(2) The second question is related to the first one: if an explicit bar is put somewhere and if LilyPond determines that it should not be there (because it is not aligned with the rythm), it prints a "warning: barcheck failed at:" message. Is it possible to circumvent the problem, or to disable these warnings?

<URL:http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/bars#bar-lines>

Go down and look for "manual bar lines".

Thanks. It seems that this error message does not occur anymore with \cadenzaOn.

--ghe