Re: odd bar check errors

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: odd bar check errors
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 18:36:05 +0200

On 13 May 2013, at 17:06 , Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Ok. so do I have to put the right keys in at least not everything in g major after the transpose line? I did read the manual but me being a singer and I can only transpost by ear it kind of makes thing sharder. I used to be able to do this but 5 years out of practice is not fun. *fronws*

If you use \transpose then LilyPond will do it for you. Just use \key g \major in the notes piece (in concert-pitch) and when you are at the point of transposing put the brackets of \transpose around the whole instrument piece. Then both the notes AND the key are transposed in one go. You don't have to specify the key again.

Ok so for the clarinet part instead of g major since it reads a half step lower then what I hear it would have to be f major or 1 flat correct?

No, if the piece is in g major (concert pitch), it will have to be written in a major for the clarinet, written one full step higher. If you use a clarinet in B-flat of course! For example your very first note for the clarinet part is a d in concert-pitch, it should become an e for the clarinet. Same for the regular trumpet, that is also an instrument in B-flat.

and the horn in f it would have to be c major if I calculated my keys and directions right.

Assuming you have a horn in F, you do \transpose f c' { ..... } and the key for the horn part should transpose into d major.

Regards,
Wim.