Re: octave checks in the viola line of my assignment are failing.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: octave checks in the viola line of my assignment are failing.
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 17:53:43 +0200

Sarah k Alawami <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello to all. Octave checks in my viola part are failing. I made sure
> that the right octave signs are there but I must be hearing it
> differently then what I'm reading on the page the source that is.
>
> I mace sure that unless I want to change o gives each note must be at
> at most a 4th a part before I would want to. The exception and I think
> the trouble is the tritones that are in the piece. No it's not 20th
> century music. lol!¬

From
<URL:http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/writing-pitches#relative-octave-entry>:

    If no octave changing mark is used on a pitch, its octave is
    calculated so that the interval with the previous note is less than
    a fifth. This interval is determined without considering
    accidentals.

_Without_ _considering_ _accidentals_.  This is stressed again later:

    As explained above, the octave of pitches is calculated only with
    the note names, regardless of any alterations. Therefore, an
    E-double-sharp following a B will be placed higher, while an
    F-double-flat will be placed lower. In other words, a
    double-augmented fourth is considered a smaller interval than a
    double-diminished fifth, regardless of the number of semitones that
    each interval contains.

That means that you _can't_ figure out relative mode by listening to the
Midi.  The note _names_ are what determines the intervals here, not the
audible intervals.

--
David Kastrup