Re: Does the optimal-page-breaker work?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Does the optimal-page-breaker work?
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 13:46:35 -0700

On Mon, 27 May 2013 00:19:06 -0700, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm successfully using ly:page-turn-breaking with an organ piece,
fitting about 200 bars on 11 pages.

Good. Do you let LilyPond find page-turns at rests, or put in \allowPageTurn at
every potential turn?

The page-turn-breaker does seem to do what it promises, but I have in the past
found it a frustrating waste of time compared with choosing my own breaks.
Looking through mutopiaproject and Jay's horndude77-open-scores I see most
often a commented-out % ly:page-turn-breaking, as if others give up on it as
well.   Most often I am frustrated that it puts too little music on pages.
Maybe I just need to learn to use it correctly.

The reported bugs regarding page-spacing suggest that that the global approach
taken by LilyPond is surprising to people, and I suppose also frustrating or
people would not complain.  For example, I would prefer if LilyPond treated the
spacing between forced page-breaks, or her chosen page-turns, as independent
local optimizations, with no effort to keep horizontal spacing consistent
across a page-turn.

If we find a couple examples where LilyPond does a good job at
line/page-breaking, and also confirmation of where LilyPond fails like I tried
in my last email, we have a better chance of removing the strange behavior
while keeping the good.

Does the default (ly:optimal-breaking) do anything good?