moving LilyPond blog to our website

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: moving LilyPond blog to our website
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 10:55:38 +0200

Hi all,

it seems to be decided that we're moving the blog to our website (i.e.
to be hosted on lilypond.org), and we're doing it asap, because as
Paul said:

2013/6/4 Paul Morris <address@hidden>:
> people will link to it, and the longer you wait to move it,
> the more broken links you create

So,

2013/6/4 Paul Morris <address@hidden>:
> If you have questions about WordPress or need advice or help with it, I have
> set up and administered a handful of sites with it.  (i.e. not on
> wordpress.com...)

Great!  I definitely need help&advice - i don't have time to figure
out details on my own :(

As i see it, there are a few decisions we have to make:
1) are we going to use WordPress or something else, for example Mezzaine:

2013/6/3 Federico Bruni <address@hidden>:
> Another option could be Mezzanine, a CMS based on Django which has many
> built-in features (including blogging).
> Considering that many lilypond developers know python, it could be a wise
> choice in case we need to hack on it.
> Mezzanine has some scripts to import from other CMS (Wordpress included):
> http://mezzanine.jupo.org/docs/blog-importing.html

?
(my vote is with Wordpress, but i really have no experience apart from
last few days)

2) what the precise address/location should be?  Paul suggests:

2013/6/4 Paul Morris <address@hidden>:
> Ideally it could be at www.lilypond.org/blog/ on the lilypond.org domain and
> to some extent integrated into the main LilyPond website.  (i.e. make it
> easy to navigate back and forth between the two sites seamlessly)

(another option could probably be blog.lilypond.org, but i have no
idea whether that's a purely cosmetical choice or has some
implications.)

As for the integration, i think that the blog should be accessible as
an item in the top menubar (I.e. next to Introduction, Manuals,
Download and Community).

If we go for WordPress, Jacques Menu showed a starting point.
Jacques, i count on your help as well! :)  There is no way i could do
this alone.

2013/6/3 Jacques Menu <address@hidden>:
> Hello,
>
> I've switched from CMS Made Simple (lives up to its name) to WordPress for
> its power and rich set of plugins.
>
> Using 3.5.1 and a child of the new twentytwelve template makes browsing on
> phones and templates much more practical (you can check  with
> http://gioiacantar.ch).
>
> You'll need:
>         - write FTP access to the folder hosting the site;
>         - a dedicated MySQL database;
>         - PHP activated;
>         - ability to run cron tasks.
>
> Installing WordPress is a one click operation. Don't forget to remove
> install.php and readme.html for security when it's done.
>
> To backup the site, export the database structure and data, which is easily
> done with cron, and rsync the folder contents elsewhere.

Please discuss!

Janek