Re: Path to LilyPond 2.18

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Path to LilyPond 2.18
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:09:17 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 5:07 PM
Subject: Path to LilyPond 2.18

Hi folks,

since the call for stabilization/freeze more or less in April, there has
been quite a bit of work on finding and dealing with regressions.

[snip]

I propose calling the next developer release 2.17.95 to send out the
message that finish-up work is called for: those translators who don't
have the resources for following all changes during a development cycle
_now_ really should try catching up.  We need to get the latest
regressions under wraps, and we need to get users trying and reporting
their experiences with the current version in order to get the rough
edges out and have a chance, where called for, to better tune the
default settings for new knobs to production-ready settings.

--
David Kastrup

I believe we need to get fixes for 3363 and 3386 into the code base before cutting a release candidate. I think 3386 is a simple revert, but don't have time to do it right now.

I'd prefer to declare 2.17.next_increment as a release candidate; let that stand and if it's OK, cut 17.95 as a final RC, then run 2.18.0.

--
Phil Holmes