Manual barlines

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Manual barlines
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:31:06 +1000

Greetings List,

Recently I asked for help putting barlines immediately after the time signature and before any notes. I received some excellent replies. But I find if I use the various overrides to place the barlines after a time signature I cannot get a barline after a full bar, a time signature, and then an immediate barline, It's either one way or the other. Call me greedy perhaps, but I want to be able to put barlines when and where I want them, without lilypond applying smart heuristics to it all. I am setting contemporary scores, and lilypond just does not seem to have the complete flexibility they tend to require.

So, is there a way I can place a barline just anywhere I want to, ad lib? I suspect the answer may be no. Therefore, I have been experimenting using postscript paths in markups. This works ok, but I am not advanced enough to understand how I can programatically align the barline and set its height to that of the staff group. I am sure this can be done in Scheme. Can anybody give any pointers to this sort of code?

Andrew