Re: pedal markings in dynamic context

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: pedal markings in dynamic context
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:00:56 +0200

On Tuesday, 16 July 2013 at 15:25, Phil Holmes wrote:
> [...]

the sustainOn on beat 1 in bar 3 is far too far away from the music. the
sustainOn on beat 3 and sustainOff on beat 4 should be on the same line (read:
i would like). adjusting the alignment of the marks for each and every mark is
extremely tedious and involves a lot of trial and error – especially in an
18-page piece with about 470 pedalling instructions, which is what i'm
currently working on…

for whatever reason, the vertical alignment in bar 1 looks good, albeit too far
away from the staff. bar 2 is agreeable as well, but four different levels of
pedal markings in bar 3 is not pretty. in my highly subjective opinion. :)
which is the reason i wanted to use a Dynamics context for the pedalling and
simply raise the context line to a suitable level and have some pedalling
instructions drop out of the line…

looks like it's the hard way for now though… :)

regards,
sb