Re: Comparing LilyPond with Sibelius, Finale, Musescore etc

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Comparing LilyPond with Sibelius, Finale, Musescore etc
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 22:51:11 +0200

Am 23.07.2013 19:11, schrieb Richard Shann:
On Tue, 2013-07-23 at 15:12 +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 23.07.2013 15:09, schrieb Richard Shann:
On Sun, 2013-07-21 at 14:03 +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 20.07.2013 17:57, schrieb Richard Shann:

I have been compiling some examples of LilyPond's typesetting compared
with those of well-known alternatives:

http://denemo.org/CompareScorewriters

If anyone can provide better examples - these are just taken from
published work that I could find with a quick search - then please let
me know - especially if I am not doing LilyPond justice.
My examples have a common origin in MusicXML files, but there may be
some other way of standardizing the comparisons (short of re-typing
music examples...).

Richard

What about the LilyPond and Finale renderings on that page:
http://lilypond.ursliska.de/notensatz/lilypond-tutorials/tackle-complex-tasks/part-2-improving-the-output.html?
Reading this page I see you refer to "the model" but it is not so clear
what this is
In this case the printed score from which I typeset the example with
LilyPond and someone else with Finale 2008.
Ah, I see, you are able to talk about "Enter the plain music, correctly
assign voices and don't apply any manual corrections" in the context of
Finale
Actually I can't talk that way about Finale - because I don't know it. What I formulated is _my_ LilyPond perspective on it, and I asked Janek to typeset the example with Finale with the given premises. I actually don't know what he did to come up with that result.
- with many such programs you cannot certain markings or text
without manually positioning it, it just floats at the end of the mouse
pointer until you click.

This leads nicely to another point I wanted to throw in.
This whole discussion reminds me of one topic I have on my wishlist for lilypondblog.org: How can you tell in a Finale or Sibelius score what is default and what is manually tweaked? This isn't intended to be a 'display of superiority' but rather a real matter of interest because I don't know (anymore) how a WYSIWYG user would think about such issues (if he is aware of them at all).

If anybody feels inspired to write something in that direction (e.g. showing an example, formulating a set of questions etc.) feel free to contact Janek or me.

Urs

Richard