Re: Figured bass brackets (bug?)

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: Figured bass brackets (bug?)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:15:01 +0200

Le 23/07/2013 22:45, Robin Bannister disait :
Jean-Charles Malahieude wrote:

Could anyone help me finish this BWV246 project?

Well, I don't know anything about figured bass but it seems that
LilyPond's square brackets are not intended to be spread apart.
add_brackets is called eventwise, and at each call initialises its local
variable "inside" to false. And I didn't find a regtest demonstrating
your spreading.

Thanks for the explanation.

If you look at IMSLP #04103 page 13 (32nd of the full book) penultimate measure of the choral, or page 39 (58th of the full book) last measure of the Evangelium, you'll see these editorial markings.

But if you want to hack your way to the finish have a look at half-bfb.
This assumes that the square brackets fill the stencil-extents and makes
its own (single) bracket to fit these, honoring a few things like
thickness and padding. But because no continuation mechanism is involved
you have to check that the [ and ] are set at the same height.
Maybe you could adapt this for a different bracket style?

I'll have a look at it during my holidays (in two weeks from now) for adopting parentheses instead of brackets, and let you know.

At least, I can deliver a first draft.

Many thanks,
Jean-Charles