Re: anyone got lilypond 2.16.2 to work on Windows Vista?

From: Robert Honore
Subject: Re: anyone got lilypond 2.16.2 to work on Windows Vista?
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 19:00:09 -0400

Nick Payne wrote:

> On 02/08/13 05:49, Robert Honore wrote:
>> Even if I try to double-click on the lilypond icon right now, the result
>> I get is that the lilypond executable appears to start, and then it
>> seems to just sit there.  Then I would use the task manager to see if
>> the executable ran at all, and I would find (on the "Processes" tab)
>> that indeed it is running.  When I look at the the columns for I/O
>> reads, I/O writes, I/O read bytes, and I/O write bytes, I see that it
>> did one I/O write, with about 2.5 MB of data written.  That is what I
>> lazily referred to by "2.5 MB".
>> If I invoke lilypond by the other two methods, I get the same result.
>>
> What do you see if you open a command prompt and run Lilypond with an ly file
> as the parameter:
>
> lilypond somefile.ly
>
> See http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/usage/command_002dline-usage

Sorry about the long delayed reply.  I reverted to 2.12.3 and now I am
still getting problems, even with input that I was previously able to
process successfully.  I've _got_ to be doing something wrong.

To answer your question more directly, I first ran the command,
"lilypond --version" at the command line.  After a very long time, it
returned the following text.
[Quoted_Output]
GNU LilyPond 2.12.3

Copyright (c) 1996--2009 by
  Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
  Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>
  and others.

This program is free software.  It is covered by the GNU General Public
License and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
under certain conditions.  Invoke as `lilypond --warranty' for more
information.
[/Quoted_Output]

This (the long wait) is not the behaviour I am accustomed to seeing, so
now I am wondering how to get a clean installation.

Right now, I just want to get back a working lilypond installation.