Re: MIDI keyboard

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: MIDI keyboard
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:04:08 +0100

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:55:27 +0200
Johan Vromans <address@hidden> wrote:

> Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Yes modern GUI based tools are slow. The main problem with your
> > method, is that you have to look at the screen. Looking away from
> > the music you are transcribing is fraught with danger - you will
> > lose your place.
>
> What's a problem for one doesn't have to be a problem for someone
> else.

Yes

> Since all entry is done with the mouse, you have one hand free
> as a pointer into the score.

Yes, that is for the case where you have a printed copy to transcribe
from. Denemo is tuned to transcrbing from a pdf that is also on-screen
- it is looking from one to the other that is a problem in that case
  (unless you want greasy finger marks on your screen :) )

> In any case, I can't remember that having to look at the screen was a
> problem.

Looking to and fro is all part of slowly entering music note by note
into a score writer. It is slow and tedious. Playing-in in music time
is relatively pleasant (keying-in if you prefer :) )

Richard