Vertically centering lyrics between two staves?

From: Ted Walther
Subject: Vertically centering lyrics between two staves?
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 13:20:48 -0700

It is going on 8 years now I've been typesetting hymns in Lilypond, and one thing is still very irritating.

For many hymns, you have 3 or 4 verses.  And you have a refrain/chorus.  It is standard hymn practice to vertically center the chorus between two staves.

Yes, it is easy to add the chorus text to the end of one of the stanzas, and at the next \break, vertical centering happens as it should.

Now, someone posted another alternative; I could mark the musical notes of the refrain as a separate voice, and tie the chorus lyrics to that.  Well and good; I wasn't aware that voices could be sequential.  After all, staves in a score can only be in parallel.  So, having done that, is there a way to tell the Lyrics attached to the chorus Voice that they should vertically center themselves?

Alternately, why not allow sequential staves in a score?  Especially if it began at the last barline of the previous score, instead of requiring a line-break.

Or, as a last resort, is there a way to "glue" two scores together so that one starts where the other ends, on the same line?  This helps the flow, and for compactness.

Having too much whitespace can be very distracting to the flow of the music.  Having a ragged end when the chorus should just flow from the earlier part of the verse, doesn't look good.

Ted