Re: How to add the number of repetitions above a bar

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: How to add the number of repetitions above a bar
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 21:05:50 +0200

2013/8/27 Gilberto Agostinho <address@hidden>:
> Hi Carl,
>
> I had a look on those, and I was able to get the brackets, but they didn't
> look very nice because they were extending from a note to a note, not fro ma
> bar line to a bar line. On top of that, the main issue for me here is to
> have the "3x" centralized above the bar; the brackets will just make it look
> prettier :)
>
> Nevertheless, I will check again the analysis brackets and see if I missed
> something out.
>
> Take care!
> Gilberto
>

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM, Carl Peterson <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Gilberto Agostinho
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I am working with a score in Lilypond that has a lot of repetitions,
>>> where basically every bar has to be repeated a certain number of times. I
>>> would like to be able to write the number of repeats above every bar,
>>> similar to the score below (which was not created in Lilypond):
>>>
>>> http://i.stack.imgur.com/GLzuk.jpg
>>>
>>> It would be great to be able to have some brackets above the bar and also
>>> to have the "3x" centralized, just like in the example above. So far, the
>>> only (temporary) solution I was able to come up with in Lilypond was to add
>>> repeat bars and then simply write "3x" above the first note of every bar
>>> (since I could not have it centralized on the bar either). It does not look
>>> very good, but gets the job done. This temporary solution looks like this:
>>>
>>> http://i.stack.imgur.com/jcCh2.jpg
>>>
>>> Do you have any suggestions of how to make this last example look more
>>> similar to the first in Lilypond?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot! Take care,
>>> Gilberto
>>>

>> Off hand, I would suggest looking up analysis brackets in the Notation
>> Reference. I don't recall at the moment how those work with text, but it
>> will get you something approaching the brackets you're looking for.
>>
>> Carl

Hi Gilberto,

the following two possibilities are not exactly what you want. Maybe
you can adapt one

1.)------------
You could try to use \startMeasureCount, \stopMeasureCount while
consisting "Measure_counter_engraver" in Score-layout.
This is quite new functionality, implemented somewhere 2.17.x, pending
its documentation.
I quote the example from our regtests, 'measure-counter.ly':

\version "2.17.25"

\relative c' {
  \startMeasureCount
  \repeat unfold 5 {
    a4 b c d
  }
  \stopMeasureCount
  a'4 b c d
  \override Staff.MeasureCounter.count-from = #2
  \startMeasureCount
  \repeat unfold 4 {
    a4 b c d
  }
  \stopMeasureCount\startMeasureCount
  \revert Staff.MeasureCounter.count-from
  \clef bass
  \key fis \major
  \time 3/4
  \repeat unfold 3 {
    R2.
  }
  \stopMeasureCount
}

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists #Measure_counter_engraver

Maybe the frame-engraver is worth a second look:
See here:
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/aleatoric-box-frameEngraver-td147962.html
(it's not in the source).

Thanks to David Nalesnik for both!