system and staff spacing

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: system and staff spacing
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 19:31:45 +0200

Hello all,

I have been trying to modify the distance between systems and staves, but I found it somehow difficult to understand. I am using the following code (on which I added the a \paper snippet):

\version "2.17.24"

\paper {

  system-system-spacing #'basic-distance = #8

  score-system-spacing =

    #'((basic-distance . 12)

    (minimum-distance . 6)

    (padding . 1)

    (stretchability . 12))

}

\new Staff {

  \repeat unfold 200 { a4 b c' d' }

}

I was playing with the values of the snippet above, and the only line that affects something is the system-system-spacing. All parameters of score-system-spacing seem to do nothing here, even though it is defined in the reference as "the distance between the last system of a score and the first system of the score that follows it, when no (title or top-level) markup exists between them."

Also, in another score of mine (which has more than one staff per system, and it has several systems per page), I altered the system-system-spacing #'basic-distance to various values but couldn't see any difference.

Could someone please direct me to a page where I can learn more about this?

Thanks a lot!

Gilberto